Subject: Re: Netscape diffs
To: Jam <jam@pobox.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/1998 10:23:24
On Tue, Apr 07, 1998 at 01:52:12AM -0500, Jam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I compiled moz-export, I could link and run it.  But
> moz-export showed only first Mozilla-window then it made
> segmentation fault.  I tried with gdb and I got garbage.  I
> suppose gdb don't work with mozilla's thread.  How about
> your Netscape?

When using lesstif-0.83, I had the same behavior. It lasted
much longer when using Motif 1.2.3.

> I have other question.  Mozilla would produce libutil.so and
> libpng.so.  I got conflicts between them and system's
> libraries.  How did you resolve this conflicts?

The linker always picked the highest available library version
before, and not the best version in the first directory. I
changed this in -current, so -current should not have the
problem anymore (after the next update). To fix this on
an older system you can either 1) patch the Makefile to
link in the conflicting libraries statically, or 2) make
sure that netscape's own libraries have a higher version
number. This is a bit dangerous, but it should work
out in this case, because there are no references
to the "real" libutil in mozilla.

> And one more question about moz-export.  I got many
> "relocation must refer to global symbol at" warnings.  Are
> they ok?

I didn't get any of those..

- Frank