Subject: Re: Netscape diffs
To: Thorsten Frueauf <s_frueau@ira.uka.de>
From: Kazushi (Jam) Marukawa <jam@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/1998 01:52:12
Hi,

I'm trying to make Netscape but I have some problems with
it.  I heard you got it.  So I want to ask some questions.

When I compiled moz-export, I could link and run it.  But
moz-export showed only first Mozilla-window then it made
segmentation fault.  I tried with gdb and I got garbage.  I
suppose gdb don't work with mozilla's thread.  How about
your Netscape?

I have other question.  Mozilla would produce libutil.so and
libpng.so.  I got conflicts between them and system's
libraries.  How did you resolve this conflicts?

And one more question about moz-export.  I got many
"relocation must refer to global symbol at" warnings.  Are
they ok?

Anyway I thought that Netscape's private malloc and shared
library's relocation might make problems.  So I changed the
name of such conflicted functions, malloc, free, select,
etc., to myXXX, mymalloc, myfree, myselect, etc.  And I made
mozilla-export without -fPIC option.

It works fine.  The bookmark button and all folder in
personal toolbar are not worked, and there are some space at
the top of window.  But it works without segmentation fault.
I believed that I got it.  However when I run this from gdb,
the system was halted.  I don't use a kernel debugger.  So I
can only make my diffs if someone want to know this
situation.  I hope that someone takes an interest in
checking the kernel.

-- Kazushi
Death is God's way of telling you not to be such a wise guy.