Subject: Re: Building emacs 20.2 fails while linking
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 04/05/1998 23:54:55
On Sun, Apr 05, 1998 at 04:13:57PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > Adding a -L/usr/lib will make it succeed. Has -nostdlib been ``enhanced''
> > to not searching /usr/lib ? Any other ideas ?
>
> It's just doing its job correctly:
>
>      -nostdlib
>              Do not search the built-in path (usually ``/usr/lib'') for -l
>              specified libraries.
>
> There was discussion about this some time ago on one of the lists, and
> the most recent version of pkgsrc-current (Mar 16'th) includes a patch
> for emacs that does approximately as you did (adjusts src/Makeile.in to
> contain: "#define LD_SWITCH_SYSTEM_TEMACS -L/usr/lib").

Two remarks:

gcc.1 states:

   .B \-nostdlib
   Don't use the standard system libraries and startup files when linking.
   Only the files you specify will be passed to the linker.

To me this is not explicitly indicating that the library search path is changed,
only that the default libraries are not included. If the intention is to not
search /usr/lib unless mentioned in a -L/usr/lib parameter, the man page should
be updated.

Secondly: It is still my experience that this behaviour has changed, and I'd
like a confirmation of to this question.

I have personally no problems with -nostdlib cleaning the library search
path in addition to the list of default libraries, but I'd really like to
know that this has been changed.

By the way: the reason that I have brought this up, is that I first got this
link problem with a pretest version of Emacs 20.3 (which I should probably
not mention here :-)) and then noticed the same problem with the latest release
of Emacs, i.e. 20.2, and I would prefer to be able to tell RMS that on
post 1.3 versions of NetBSD, -nostdlib requires a -L/usr/lib -- but I will
hate to tell him this unless it's really true. Even if we have a working
package system, we should still make it possible to build utilities like
Emacs out of the box.

regards
Erik Bertelsen