Subject: Re: Intel clones: how well do they work?
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1998 22:05:45

> In message <199804010121.UAA25450@cyber3.servtech.com>, Brad Salai writes:
> >Do you think the K6 might be the problem probing the 2940?
>
> Honestly, no, I think it's probably a driver bug...  I don't know yet,
> I haven't actually fixed it, I just started using the 2930 and disabling
> the probe of the 2940.

My recent experiences with a 2940 might be germaine at this point.  I've
been using one in a P100 for over a year.  Once I started upgrading
(about 1.2F or G) I started getting all kinds of odd little problems
with the drive.  I never did pin down precisely what, but every time I
upgraded, the problems got worse.  I never tried to downgrade to verify
the quality of the controller, but I replaced it with a 1542 I had
laying around and the system has been rock solid for more than two
months, where before I was lucky to get two days out of it.

Is it possible that the driver for the 2940 might have recently gotten
"too good" for its own good?  The hangs I was seeing were typical of
"lost interrupt" hangs (remember the IDE 'solid light of death'?)  On a
faster system, mightn't the problems be even worse than on my lowly
P100?  The same setup (tape drive, hard drive, termination, etc.) works
great again.

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom