Subject: Re: Intel clones: how well do they work?
To: David Jones <dej@inode.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1998 17:05:13
[ Point of information. ]

> I know that the Cyrix 486 was royally broken, and will not support NetBSD.

"Wow, my home gateway (which has a Cx486DLC) just spontaneously burst
into flames, after several years of operation!  I wonder what
happened?!"  8-)

There are undoubtedly some problems with some 486-generation Cyrix
chips and/or the motherboards that they were typically put in, but the
generalizations "royally broken" and "will not support NetBSD" are
incorrect.  I seem to recall something about cache invalidation
problems with the Cyrix 486 CPUs that were stuffed on to i386
motherboards, but it's been a long time.  The gateway system mentioned
has all caches turned off (because i never bothered to figure out
which cache enable -- internal or external -- actually caused the
problems i was seeing when both caches were on), but _is_ solid as a
rock.

cgd
-- not the opinion of Digital Equipment Corporation, etc.