Subject: Re: Intel clones: how well do they work?
To: David Jones <dej@inode.org>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1998 18:55:27
In message <199804010030.TAA27568@ruff.inode.org>, David Jones writes:
>I know that the Cyrix 486 was royally broken, and will not support NetBSD.
>I am wary of anything not made by Intel.

All I can say is that I have K6's in *all* of my 80x86 type Unix boxes
these days.  I've had no trouble with them, and they *whomp* the Intel
chips.  (My benchmark is 'rc564'.)

My systems never had the F00F hang, either.

Anyway, YMMV, but the K6 certainly seems to work just fine.  The only
problem I have that I haven't tracked down is that my BSD/OS box with a
K6-233 can't probe a 2940 correctly, even though the card works fine in
a P-120... But it works fine with other cards, and I use it heavily.

YMMV; I think the K6 is a good deal.

-s