Subject: -DSMALL, -DLETS_GET_SMALL...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brain fried. Explanation is in file "core". <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/26/1998 19:10:04
Heyyo,

Just caught a couple of things.

0.  Substitute #ifndef for #ifdef where appropriate.

1.  Most utilities with a means of compiling out "fluff" (anything unnecessary)
    tend to have such things surrounded by #ifdef SMALL.  The exception to
    this is init, which uses #ifdef LETS_GET_SMALL.  It would probably be
    A Good Idea to change it to #ifdef SMALL just to keep it uniform.

2.  None of the Makefiles associated with these utilities are set up to deal
    with -DSMALL.  It would probably be A Good Idea to make it so that
    make called with -DSMALL would do the right thing, i.e., use
    CPPFLAGS+=-DSMALL and eliminate the other "fluff" flags and libs.

3.  The programs that compile using #ifdef SMALL typically forget to include
    variable declarations inside the conditionals.  This results in warnings
    ...uh, I mean errors...uh, I mean warnings...that such-and-so variable
    is declared/set but not used.

Should I send PRs on all of them, or is someone else working on this?
I'm asking because I'm attempting to create a raw boot floopy for a
SPARC environment.  Between a minimal, compressed kernel and crunchgen,
I'm approaching success.  It's actually kind of nice that it's working so
well.

#define NOT_QUITE_CLUELESS_OLD_FART

On an unrelated tangent, I'm not quite sure how to go about building a
SPARC floopy which would create a filesystem in RAM, eliminating the
need to leave any space on the disk for auxiliary files.  A pointer to
the appropriate place is fine.

#undef NOT_QUITE_CLUELESS_OLD_FART

				--*greywolf;
--