Subject: Re: archive.c/arm32
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/23/1998 20:27:15
> On Mon, 23 Mar 98 18:19:36 -0800  "Chris G. Demetriou" wrote:
>
> > I'd love to hear a better suggestion, but...  8-)
>
> Ok, really dumb question here - why does arm32 use unsigned chars?

Because somebody, somewhere, decided that unsigned chars were the best
idea for the ARM architecture.  I don't know what, if any, ARM
architecture features justify that decision, but it wasn't one that
was made by us.  It's not really something that we should be changing.
(In other words, if the intent behind asking was to provoke change,
you're barking up the wrong tree.)

The PowerPC also uses unsigned chars, but it doesn't use our in-tree
gcc sources, so hasn't tripped over the problem.

cgd