Subject: Re: new console driver code
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/22/1998 18:03:39
In article <Ap5Kb8G6LiYEELjFE2@zelux6> you write:
> There is a bunch of new files in the tree which belongs to
> a new machine-independant console framework.

Good work! (and to CGD as well)

>   but not yet config- or runtime configurable. There are plans
>   for a much improved map handling, so stay tuned.)

Will this include per-virtual-terminal keymaps? How flexible will the
mapping be? Also, will fonts be per-vt?

I took some Russian a few months ago, and I intend to take some more
soon. Ever since then, I've wanted to be able to set up one VT
differently, for Russian use. I'd like to load a KOI-8 font, instead of
the normal one, and I'd like to have a different keymap on that one that
acted "normally" when caps lock (and by that I mean left-ctrl, since I
swap them) is off, and generates KOI-8 when caps lock is on.

I hope the plans system will encompass setups that complex.

> The new wsdisplay device has the major number 47. The minor
> numbers are
> (wsdisplay unit << 8) | virtual screen.
> On PCs it is unlikely to have more than 1 display unit.
> There can be 8 virtual screens for now, switching is done by
> CTL-ALT-F1...F8, as in pcvt.

Do (or will they be able to be made to, with new keymap code) F9...F12
work like CTL-ALT-F1...F8 as in pcvt?