Subject: Re: Solutions (was Misc. problems)
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: tcjam <tcjam@voicenet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1998 17:55:20
First I did compile a custom kernel with PPP_FILTER and PFIL_HOOKS, it's
on its sixth incarnation with these options... yes I have the bpf psuedo
devices, if there is a bpf option I have never heard of it. Like I said I
had all this working with 1.2.1.
Dave could I see your ppp options file? particularly the
active-filter, idle, and holdoff sections. Maybe I'm doing something wrong
within the config file. I'm going to recompile a GENERIC kernel with
PPP_FILTER, sbc, and PFIL_HOOKS and see if I have any luck.

Anyone else care to report success or failure?

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Dave Huang wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Ken Hornstein wrote:
> > Do you not have BPF compiled into your kernel?
> >
> > I haven't actually upgraded my PPP machine to 1.3(.1) yet, and it's not
> > a 68k machine, but I can't believe this is _completely_ broken (but
> > hey, I've been surprised before :-)).
>
> It's not broken :) Works for me on my 1.3 i386 machine... however, the
> pppd manpage says:
>        active-filter filter-expression
>        [ ... ]
>               being  interpreted  by  the  shell.  This option is
>               currently only available  under  NetBSD,  and  then
>               only if both the kernel and pppd were compiled with
>               PPP_FILTER defined.
>
> The mac68k GENERIC kernel doesn't have PPP_FILTER (neither does the i386
> GENERIC). So, you'll have to compile your own kernel for it to work.
> --
> Name: Dave Huang     |   Mammal, mammal / their names are called /
> INet: khym@bga.com   |   they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
> FurryMUCK: Dahan     |   dolphin and dog / koala bear and hog -- TMBG
> Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++

                                 \||||/
                                  o  o
|| "Please explain to me the scientific          |  tcjam@voicenet.com ||
||   nature of the whammy." -Scully              ______________________||
|| "Foolproof systems don't take into account,                         ||
||  the ingenuity of fools" -Unknown 			               ||
||   PGP key can be obtained from:                                     ||
||      http://www.voicenet.com/~tcjam/home/keys.html                  ||