Subject: Re: Anyone played with Coda?
To: current-users@NetBSD.ORG, Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1998 10:45:32
Excerpts from netbsd: 19-Mar-98 Anyone played with Coda? Ty
Sarna@endicor.com (576*)

> Anyone tried Coda on NetBSD? I tried the 4.3.14 (I think it was) version
> and was unable to access their testserver.

I've tried 4.3.14 last week, and I couldn't access the testserver too.

To play around a bit, I installed both server and client on a
diskless 1.3 box and I couldn't access any files on /coda.
I finally found that the client cache (/usr/coda/venus.cache)
must reside on an FFS (it makes use of VFS_VGET()), and
- after setting up a disk for it - it worked.
I could access cached files after shutting down the server,
as expected. The client didn't always survive a shutdown -
it get a zero pointer dereference in cfs_root() (iirc) sometimes.

> Odly, once /coda was monted, I couldn't access local disks.  Processes
> trying to access local files would hang in netio or select.

I didn't try this, my machine was still nearly diskless.

Such a caching filesystem would be good to have. I have a number
of applications which are "quite critical", and network problems
happen from time to time.
However, I'd need to access the files from other (really
diskless or commercial OS) systems as well, so it seems
that coda doesn't solve my problems (yet).

best regards
Matthias