Subject: Endian-independant FFS commited.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1998 11:01:44
[ second try. I send this just after the commit but got a bounce several
  hours after :( ]

Hi,
Those of you following source-changes will have noticed, I just commited the
changes to make FFS endian-independant.
The kernel can mount FFS of both byte order (if conpiled with
'options FFS_EI'), detection is based on the magic
number. The various FFS tools works the same way.
fsck_ffs can convert a FS from a byte order to another (-B option), but
use with caution. If fsck_ffs is interrupted while doing the conversion
the FS will not be recoverable. This may be partially fixed one day, but
it is verry difficult, and can't be completely safe anyway. I noticed this
problem is also present with some -c conversion by reading the sources.
newfs can build FS of both byte order (-B option).

I'm running this code on my PC and Sparc for several weeks now, so I don't
expect any major problem, at last on FS in host byte order. If you notice
any problem, please send-pr it.