Subject: Re: Frustration
To: None <mikel@shore.net>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/1998 12:27:05
According to Mike Long:

>The solution to your troubles is to follow these rules religiously:

0) Always backup / & /usr so that you can easily get them back if
something goes wrong.  I back mine up to another HD (my /usr/local)
using dump.  If something does get screwed I can boot from the install
floppy and do a restore of my old configuration.

>1) Always have the COMPAT_ option for the most recent major release in
>   your kernel config.  Since the last major release (i.e. not a patch
>   release) was 1.3, you should have 'options COMPAT_13' in your kernel
>   config.
>2) Rebuild the kernel and reboot before building anything (*) in
>   userland.

  +++ Divide By Cucumber Error.  Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
  - Hogfather, Terry Pratchett.