Subject: Re: Problem with linking our emacs package
To: enami tsugutomo <enami@sm.sony.co.jp>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 03/15/1998 21:35:08
On 16 Mar 1998, enami tsugutomo wrote:

: > ld: -ltermcap: no match
: > *** Error code 1
: >
: > The strange thing is that "ld" find "libc" and "libm" in "/usr/lib" but not
: > "libtermcap". Adding a "-L/usr/lib" before "-ltermcap" fixes the problem.
: > But that isn't necessary to compile it under 1.3.
:
: The reason -L/usr/lib wasn't necessary under 1.3 but is necessary
: under recent (actually after early march) -current is because our
: compiler driver was changed to pass down -nostdlib flag to linker if
: it is given.

*gasp* Emacs is using -nostdlib?  Why is this!?  The intent of the -nostdlib
option is for compiling:

- different rleases of the same OS (e.g. 1.3.1 on a -current system, in
  the case of NetBSD)
- standalone boot, etc. programs

I'm the one that impleented that change; if a compile breaks now because of
it, the compile was actually broken in the first place.  I don't know why it
does it, but Emacs (and incidentally, any user program especially in our pkg
system) should not use -nostdlib as a link option, if it has any intention
of using system libraries.