Subject: Frustration
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Joseph Sarkes <joe@js.ne.mediaone.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/15/1998 06:57:55
Well, i am now totally frustrated and confused. Every time
I try to build the current tree it dies somewhere and i have
to reinstall the 1.3 sources to get an operational system.

HOW do you do a make build without trashing your system?
I put in a DESTDIR= and that only changes where the final
install will go.

The include files still get trashed, and when i tried to do
the UVM=1 it killed my shared libraries so that nothing runs
at all.

There needs to be some type of FAQ to at least get one started
without having to go through this. The magical incantations are
NOT intuitively obvious. Perhaps they are stashed in some easy
to find place that i am overlooking but i have reread so many
files in the ftp site, etc. that I no longer have a clue as to
where it would be.

At least i have a spare bootable root partition that should help
me recover without starting totally from scratch. But... Somebody
please have a heart.

--
Joseph Sarkes                   mailto:joe@mediaone.net
P.O. Box 482                    http://www.tiac.net/users/jsarkes