Subject: Cryptic behavior...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/12/1998 15:06:49
I wrote once long ago about a problem where mail(1) would stop echoing

Nothing else was affected.  ksh is happy, trn is happy, vi is happy.

I just ran into this on BSD/OS, but I had a spare shell handy to compare
notes.

It looks like this is caused by the equivalent of
	stty -echo -echoe -icanon -pendin
happening.

Could someone else please verify that doing this is causing this
cryptic behavior?

If so, can you explain why it doesn't affect my shell, or any other
program I can think of?  Maybe this is one of those ksh magic things.

-s