Subject: MAN/CAT in distributions
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 03/12/1998 09:20:52
On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, NetBSD source changes wrote:

: pkgsrc/x11/ctwm/Makefile
:     (tron - Thu Mar 12 02:12:11 PST 1998)
:     Add missing "CAT1" assignment.

Funny--MAN1 worked for me and CAT1 breaks all of these packages.  Why?  My
/etc/mk.conf has "MANINSTALL=maninstall" and my X11 host.def sets manual
page installation to be unformatted, not formatted.

Hm, I'm beginning to wonder just how far this should go.  Shouldn't our X11
dist actually ship with unformatted man pages?  For that matter, shouldn't
all the distributions have unformatted man pages (whether or not they
install formatted ones)?  If you've ever printed troffed man pages on a real
printer and compared it to a dump of a nroffed man page, you know the
incredible difference there is.

I'd like to hear some opinion wrt possibly changing the X11 and base
distributions to install unformatted man pages, or both formatted and
unformatted.  I know I'm not the only one out there who uses troff and a
real, honest to goodness, PostScript printer.