Subject: Re: 3c905 media support..
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/1998 22:17:21
Jonathan Stone wrote:
> We do have an `mii-bus' in the tree, but there are various caveats
> with the design of that code. Currently neither the de driver nor the
> ep driver use it.  In the short term perhaps someone could drop the
> FreeBSD code into the ep driver framework.

Which FreeBSD driver is it?  At least on 2.2.5 /sys/dev/vx/if_vx.c
appears to know nothing about 100Mbs.

> The workaround is, of course, to use the 3Com utilties to set the
> NVRAM state appropriately: either it to autosense, or hard-select a
> specific interface on a PHY chip.

Hmm, does the autosense actually work for you?  In the limited testing
I did, it "appeared" to negotiate a-100/a-full with the switch, yet
was really talking 10(half?).  Now that I think about it, I don't believe
I tried forcing the card *and* the switch to 100Mbs.  I will try that
tomorrow.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.