Subject: Re: Lockups on 1.3D sparc & i386
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/27/1998 10:46:43
scotte@intrepid.warped.com (Scott Ellis) writes:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 1998 at 09:26:33PM -0500, William O Ferry wrote:
> >     I've built new kernels from sources sup'ed on 2/24, for a SPARC and
> > an i386, both with and without UVM.  Since compiling these kernels, I
> > have been experiencing rather regular lockups on both my SPARC and my
> > i386.

Ditto.  On netbsd-current/i386 from 2/26/98 running on a P-II.  No
UVM, No new PMAP.  Total rebuild (eg. "make build", "make clean" in
the kernel dir.  No make-dependencies to shortcut things that
shouldn't really need rebuilding.)

One sure fire hang is to build /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/ on an
NFS mounted filesystem.  (Even a "make clean" can cause a hang.)
(Perhaps relates the the vnd stuff???)

I've seen another hang too.  (NB, /var and /v are different
filesystems, the "make stdlinks" config doesn't do anything that
weird, basically a few symlinks).

    cd /v/src/bind-8.1.1/src/
    make stdlinks
		# the next line or two is where the hang happened.
    cd /var/obj/bind
    make
    make install

The hangs have all been pretty dirty with respect to the number of
unlinked files at the fsck.  I didn't repeat any of these
intentionally.

-wolfgang