Subject: Re: UMAX Astra 1200S Scanner supported?
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 02/25/1998 08:35:37
Ty Sarna wrote:
> The most interesting was the Astra 1200S.  Will this model work with the
> ss driver? Anyone using it? Anyone heard about potential
> incompatabilities with the Adaptec 2940UW (and only the UW, for some
> reason).

AFAIK, Umax Astra scanners aren't supported by the ss driver - it supports
only Mustek and HP scanners.  There is a comment in ss_mustek.c (written
1995) that the Mustek scanners (0600XCX and 12000CX) do not disconnect when
a transfer takes place and that they seem not to handle synchronous
negotiation.  I don't know if that will make them incompatible with a
2940UW under NetBSD (or if this is the case for newer models).

> There was also a Mustek 1200dpi model that was interesting, but I don't
> remember the model name. It was also letter size, while the UMAX did
> legal size (not that I need legal size really, but for the same price...)

As someone pointed out a little while ago (on port-sparc??), you might look
at SANE - this has support for a larger number of scanners/cameras/etc.
The Astra 1200S is supported.  If the Mustek was a 12000SP (these are
available cheaply here), then the backend doesn't quite work with it.

See 'http://panda.mostang.com/sane/'.  I've been using SANE with an HP 4p
connected to a Sun 4/330 for a month or so.  It compiled 'out of the box'
(it wanted Gnu make[*], gtk and gimp optional) and I haven't come across
any problems.

[*] It would be nice if our make supported % substition ...

--
    1024/55A5BC19        0F 3F 62 56 18 10 8B 84  43 8F F4 94 93 37 76 AA

S.E.P.