Subject: Re: Compiling gdb
To: Chris G. Demetriou <port-arm32-owner-PWAIN=nc.com@NetBSD.ORG>
From: paul <pwain@nc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/19/1998 23:04:19
--------------7F0B5725B3B28CDF6A230AB2

Be aware also that in the 'current' gcc (and thus by virtue 1.3 (non alpha)
shared libraries) some of the gcc and g++ symbols have changed (and therefore
some of the things ld looks for) so gdb and as may be the only useful source
in there :)

Subtle things like .I. and .D. changing to $I$ and $D$ to be more consistant
with the rest of the netbsd world.

P.

Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> > /usr/src/gnu/dist/gdb/arm-xdep.c includes "arm-opcode.h" I cannot find
> > this file anywhere. Apparently it defines the likes of
> > PT_READ_U PT_WRITE_U PC SHLIBLEN corefile corechan data_start etc.
> > The only definition of SHLIBLEN I found is in
> > /usr/src/gnu/dist/bfd/riscix.c which obviously isn't a header
> > file. Where can I find a suitable replacement?
>
> The GDB in NetBSD-current doesn't compile (let alone run) on NetBSD/arm32
> port.
>
> Not a great solution, but the source tar files referenced off of:
>
>         http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/iag/info/new-soft.html
>
> (Go to "Download DNARD Software", then look at the license stuff, then
> accept them, and you get to a download page; the "full sources" tar
> file there.)
>
> Contains sources for a working(-ish) gdb and a working assembler for
> the arm32 port.  (Sorry it's so much to download...  8-)
>
> (Note that most of the NetBSD sources in those tarballs are of a
> NetBSD 1.2.1 vintage, with lots of local ingredients.  I'd not trust
> the rest of them on a -current system, but gdb, gas, gcc, and probably
> the linker/shared loader should be pretty safe.  "Be careful!" if
> you're trying to build your whole system from scratch; if you manage
> to muck things up, well, sorry, but it's not my fault.  FWIW, we hope
> to be shipping some 1.3-based sources + binaries in a few weeks. 8-)
>
> I don't know why the GDB changes aren't in the -current source tree.
> Mark has them (in fact, he gave them to me! 8-).  He probably just
> hasn't had time to munge the changes into the right form so they can
> be stuffed into NetBSD.
>
> GAS is more understandable: NetBSD's GAS is very old, and nothing like
> the GAS used on the arm.  Getting that into the NetBSD source tree
> would be a big pain...
>
> cgd

--------------7F0B5725B3B28CDF6A230AB2

begin:          vcard
fn:             Paul Wain
n:              Wain;Paul
org:            Network Computer Inc.
adr:            1000 Bridge Parkway;;;Redwood City;CA;94065;USA
email;internet: pwain@nc.com
title:          OS Development Engr.
tel;work:       +1 650 631 4628
tel;fax:        +1 650 631 4680