Subject: Re: Installation from CD-ROM.
To: None <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/18/1998 16:49:12
>AFAIK, sysinst gets this wrong too :).  Those of us working on sysinst
>never got good feedback from anyone acutally wanting to produce CDs.
>I think the 1.3 release sysinst looks in /Release/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3.

Sysinst gets it totally wrong.  It doesn't add the proper arch/sets/binary
either.  The CD stuff wasn't touched after release(7) was written. :(

>Maybe the anticipation was that someone producing a CD distribution
>would make sysinst use something sensible for their production.

I have already made a CD of the ftp site ... 630 Mb

But once I typed in the proper path to sysinst, it did do a proper install
from CD.  I'm planning on having /NetBSD-1.3 as the root on the CD
and telling sysinst about that.  I need to coordinate with one other
person first though.

>I'd welcome feedback on what we should do here. It'd be nice if we
>could pick a `standard' that would work for all ports, even if
>multiboot CDs is not currently an option.  If it needs changing,
>perhaps we can get a change into the next patch release.

>If that fails you can always install from the CD (which is otherwise a
>coaster), using the the "unmounted fs" option. Note that the
>`directory' is the directory, relative to the root of the mounted-from
>local filesystem (e.g., the CD) in which to find a release(7)
>hierarchy.

I'll try to get the changes done soon.

--
Phil Nelson                    NetBSD: http://www.netbsd.org