Subject: Re: Installation from CD-ROM.
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@honors.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/18/1998 16:53:49
On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> >> I think he's asking if there is a proper directory structure to hold the
> >> install files on the CD in addition to make the CD bootable.
>
> >Right.  I don't want to make /NetBSD-1.3 if sysinstall requires
> >/pub/NetBSD-1.3 on the CD.
>
> AFAIK, sysinst gets this wrong too :).  Those of us working on sysinst
> never got good feedback from anyone acutally wanting to produce CDs.
> I think the 1.3 release sysinst looks in /Release/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3.

Ack!  Two things I'd like to see:

1) Tell sysinst you're loading from a CD, and then tell it what directory
on the CD the files are located in.

2) This is more of a personal preference, because I have access to a
cd-burner, and I don't want to mess with figuring out the release(7)
structure:  Can't we put all the .tgz files in the same directory?  Or
better yet, could sysinst use something like find(1) to locate the
appropriate .tgz file somewhere beneath the directory I specify to it?
Principle of least surprise, and all that...

Chris

Chris Jones                                      cjones@rupert.oscs.montana.edu
           Mad scientist in training...