Subject: Re: -current libc.so.12.25 problems
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 02/18/1998 11:56:42
> Paul was talking about *the size of the object sys_errlist[]*, not
> the `size' represented by sys_nerr.  Only enough space for the old
> sys_errlist[] is allocated in the executable's data segment; the new
> definition is too long and ends up overwriting other objects in the
> data segment.

I *thought* that shared libraries had their own data segments, loaded
at the same time as the library's text segment; certainly SunOS ones
do.  Under this paradigm, no space is allocated in the executable for
things like sys_errlist[]; it all comes from the library.  (Of course,
nonshared libraries do get space allocated, but it's filled in at the
same time and doesn't change afterwards, so the issue doesn't arise.)

Now, under the eminently reasonable assumption that pk knows what he's
talking about, what I just described must not match the NetBSD reality.
What have I missed?  How *does* dynamic linking work for us?

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca