Subject: Re: -current libc.so.12.25 problems
To: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 02/17/1998 18:39:31
On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Paul Kranenburg wrote:

: > I get core dumps and bad behaviour from programs linked against the
: > shared libc. All these programs have been compiled before the following
: > change to src/lib/libc/gen/errlist.c (1.8 1998/02/08 19:07:13 kleink) came up:

: > Is it possible for this change to break old programs?
:
: Yes. Programs that reference `sys_errlist[]' directly, import both
: the name and the size (since it's a data item) from the library at
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: link time.
:
: Hence, any change to the size of the array constitutes an incompatible
: interface change that should result in a new major version number.

Not really; remember that the program also gets the _size_ with it, so the
shared library will already supply the number of errors in sys_nerr, which
is the correct number of errors in sys_errlist[].  It's not incompatible
that I can see; perhaps I missed something?

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Bus. todd_vierling@xn.xerox.com)
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price