Subject: Re: Micropolis
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Newhouse <newhouse@rockhead.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/17/1998 13:04:03
Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de> writes:

>SeaGate and Quantum report major drawback in income for 1997. They haven't
>estimated IBM and Fujitsu's efforts and the demand for high capacity drives
>correctly. This will result into a grey zone between cheap material and
>less tested drives.

What happens in the disk market over the next 6 to 12 months will be interesting
indeed.  I think the higher performance UDMA drives will have an effect during
this time period, may not be enough.

I understand that Segate has warehouses full of drives they figure they can't
sell.  I'm curious, if true, what the mix of drives is that they are apparently
going to write off?

Are these the "interesting times" the old Chinese (I think) curse says we should
live in?

Paul

This really is off topic, sorry for perpetuating it.