Subject: Linux emulation
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Jones <dej@inode.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/14/1998 12:43:33
This is probably a stupid question.

In an attempt to get Netscape to run faster (I currently run it on a Sparc IPC),
I downloaded the Linux version, with the intent of running it on 1.3/i386.

No dice:

> file netscape
netscape: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
> ./netscape
./netscape: Exec format error. Wrong Architecture.

> nm /netbsd|grep elf
f0117088 T _elf32_check_header
f0116fa4 T _elf32_copyargs
f0117374 T _elf32_load_file
f01170c8 T _elf32_load_psection
f0200c08 D _elf32_probe_funcs
f0117324 T _elf32_read_from
f020ed70 D _emul_linux_elf
f0200bd4 D _emul_netbsd_elf32
f011769c T _exec_elf32_makecmds
f0117a98 T _exec_elf_setup_stack
f01f1bb8 T _linux_elf32_probe
f01f1ae4 t _linux_elf32_signature
f01e2674 T _svr4_elf32_probe
f010a4e4 F db_elf.o
f0116fa4 F exec_elf32.o
f0117a98 F exec_elf_common.o

options         COMPAT_SVR4     # binary compatibility with SVR4
options         COMPAT_IBCS2    # binary compatibility with SCO and ISC
options         COMPAT_LINUX    # binary compatibility with Linux
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD  # binary compatibility with FreeBSD

# Executable format options
options         EXEC_ELF32      # 32-bit ELF executables (SVR4, Linux)

Any ideas?