Subject: Re: serial port control
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/13/1998 20:49:39
In article <Pine.NEB.3.96.980213143227.16796C-100000@bsdpc.celtech.com> you write:
> I have a Best Power UPS and they distribute their software freely on their
> web site, even a unix version with source code, not as fancy as the
> win95 stuff but functional.

I'm glad to hear they changed their mind about that! Sounds like BEST is
now the...  uh...  best in that respect.  Looking at their source (BTW,
did anyone else notice that the textual user/group ids in the tarfile
are "amiga"?), it doesn't look like their UPS's are quite as smart as
the APCs (what's been publicly figured out about APC covers about as
much, I think), but it's all the important stuff, anyway.

Next thought: it'd be nice to come up with a generic UPS daemon
interface with standard support for network shutdowns (The big
2200VA unit here supports 5 machines... I want all of them shut down,
not just the one that's serial-connected!).

Also, the situation with a UPS-pretected server or a battery-powered
laptom is in some ways the same, so it'd be nice to be able to have a
common aproach to both, to that extent that it's reasonable to do that)