Subject: Re: top 2.5beta 7 on NetBSD 1.3
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1998 23:01:08
On Wed, Feb 11, 1998 at 03:06:50PM +0200, Jukka Marin wrote:

> Use the NetBSD pkg system to get the top source and build it.  Works
> just fine.

It seems that there was a change in the newest top (b7) that affected HPs
running NetBSD, or something like that, but nothing else seems to have
changed.

However... Top under NetBSD (both mac68k and i386) seems to have a pretty
noticeable memory leak. I've mentioned this innumerable times before, and
I guess other folks haven't seen it, but ever since the the VM system
changed in 1.2G (or whenever it was) top, when left alone, can grow to
consume several megs in a few days. This didn't happen prior to the change,
but since the change required the use of a much newer version of top, I
don't know what's at fault. I'm hoping someone with a much better clue
than I will have an idea. <grin> Maybe UVM will magically fix this...?
Am I correct in assuming that UVM will eventually make it into port-mac68k?
(I'm learning, but I'm not ready for that level of hacking yet.)

Anyway, a caveat for the NetBSD top package: The default refresh time for
the package top is currently two seconds. I'd recommend making the delay
a bit longer, personally - the file to edit is:

/usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/top/files/defaults

Something like five or ten seconds wouldn't be quite as much of a processor
drain... ...in my most humble of opinions, of course...

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments