Subject: Re: UVM option
To: c5666305 <c5666305@comp.polyu.edu.hk>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1998 09:18:18
At 4:31 PM +1100 2/11/98, matthew green wrote:
>   Hello,
>
>   I am a little bit confused about the UVM option.  I had tried to make
>   kernel with UVM option for my i386 system. However, I do not know how to
>   make build with UVM option as my kernel report corrected bogus mmap for
>   some program like tail.  Can anyone tell me the steps to make build with
>   UVM (examples are appreciate).  Thanks.
>

>that message from the kernel means you are running a UVM kernel.  it only
>exists in the UVM source tree.  what it means is that tail(1) uses an old
>interface to mmap(2) (assuming that flags of `0' [MAP_FILE] by itself is
>ok.  you need one of MAP_{PRIVATE,SHARED,COPY} also).
>

>to build with UVM support in userland, you need to add this to /etc/mk.conf:
>
>	UVM=yes
>
>and rebuild the world.  (actually, just libkvm, ps, pstat, w, systat, vmstat
>and rpc.rstatd).

Would it make any sense to add these to the ksrc sup collection (as was
done recently with config,  yea!) ?  I can see reasons not to, but kernel
changes affect these portions of userland frequently, and some of us don't
follow the entire source tree.

Another posibility is to make a new small collection for the things that
are strongly affected by kernel changes.

Brad

Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                             Fax    (716) 262-3906
Two State Street                            email bsalai@tmonline.com
Rochester, NY 14614