Subject: Re: serial port control
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1998 01:06:54
>I find it very handy when there is a lightning storm to be
>able to just reach under the desk and unplug everything from the wall
>and wait for the gap b/w lightning and thunder to grow to
>an acceptible level (guess who's computer got fried by lightning
>a few years ago :-)

On that note ... this doesn't _exactly_ relate to NetBSD, but the
January 1998 issue of Circuit Cellar Ink (a great magazine if you're
into hardware, even if they have been getting too Pee Cee centric
lately) gives plans for a lightning detector (based around a
commercial lightning sensor) that can automatically shut off a
circuit if it detects more than N lightning strikes within an X
mile radius (X being dependant on the hight of the sensor).  The
sensor is only $50 and the rest of the circuit isn't that expensive.

If you're really paranoid about lightning, or you're a weather freak,
it might be worth your time to check it out.

--Ken