Subject: Re: serial port control
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1998 12:03:51
Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:
> Y'all should check out:
> http://www.quick.com.au/sjg/apcmon.html

Thanks!  I hadn't seen that one.

I guess I'll order one of these units for my netbsd box after all.

Perhaps this or a similar deamon could go into the netbsd ports?

> Back-UPS (_and_ the Smart-UPS/VS .... I made that mistake :-/).

Its not clear to me yet that sine wave output wins.  Square wave
should be more efficient since you don't have the big dead-time
between, the two peaks.  If the load is your typical PC switching
power supply then it would really prefer to have the full ~170v peak
voltage applied all the time.  The down side of square waves is a
touch more RFI noise.  As an aside, normal DC-DC converters are sqare
wave internally, as are switching supplies.  It just doesn't pay to
round the corners of the wave unless one is running a motor or
transformer or something like it that will get very upset at the high
dv/dt of the square waves.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
	  Never trust a program you don't have sources for.