Subject: Re: DNS question
To: Trouble Free RecepPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 02/09/1998 01:37:11
>	My problem is that occasionally when I telnet to any of:
>	127.0.0.1
>	localhost
>	localhost.starwolf.com
>	localhost.starwolf.com.
>
>My nameserver wants to jump out the door and resolve it externally.

I am surprised now and then by the amount of extra work that the
client-side resolver libraries do.  The "search" keyword in resolv.conf
can help you with this.

It seems the easiest thing to do would be to put your local nameserver
in debugging mode and see what queries are being done.  Or if you're
not running a local nameserver, why not use tcpdump to figure out
what's going on?

>BUT:  nslookup works fine.

nslookup doesn't use the same functions that most other programs do (it
calls the resolver functions directly).

--Ken