Subject: Re: DNS question
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/09/1998 04:46:13
Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net> typed:
:Greywolf wrote:
:> Dustin Sallings sez:
:> /* If you cannot resolve starwolf.com, you cannot resolve anything
:>  under * starwolf.com.  I think you may be a little confused as to what
:>  you're looking * for.  *sigh* some of us think it's sick to put A records
:>  (what you're probably * looking for) on domain names:
:>  * starwolf.com    604784 IN       NS      CYBERNETIX.COM
:>  * starwolf.com    604784 IN       NS      NBN.NBN.COM
:>  * starwolf.com    604784 IN       NS      MOON.NBN.COM
:>  * starwolf.com    604784 IN       NS      DNS.AA.MSEN.COM
:>  * starwolf.com    604784 IN       MX      100 sneech.idiom.COM
:>  * starwolf.com    604784 IN       MX      10 idiom.COM
:>  * starwolf.com    604784 IN       MX      5 starwolf.starwolf.com
:> 1. Those aren't A records.
:	I know that, I was pointing out that you can resolve starwolf.com
:domain, just not an A record for it, should've been more clear.

Why would you need to resolve an A record for `starwolf.com'?  That's
entirely irrelevant to being able to resolve records for and under
`starwolf.com'.  You need to be able to resolve NS records for `starwolf.com'
via the glue in the `com' root servers and they are doing that fine.  Anyway,
this is running far away from current-users subjects (not that it started out
as one).
--
Geoff Wing   <gcw@pobox.com>            Mobile : 0412 162 441
Work URL: http://www.primenet.com.au/   Ego URL: http://pobox.com/~gcw/