Subject: Re: DNS question
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
From: CyberPeasant <listread@bedford.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/06/1998 01:14:13
> According to Dave Huang:
> >
> >Anyways, most DNS queries use UDP, not TCP... (I think only zone
> >transfer uses TCP?)
> >

> Not only for zone transfers, IIR my DNS correctly a tcp connection is
> used if the return data would overflow a udp packet.  Telnet'ing to
> the DNS port should give you a connection since bind should be
> listening on the TCP port.
>
> --
> Brett Lymn, Computer Systems Administrator, British Aerospace Australia

I used port 40, as Dave H. pointed out. I know better than that,
but...  Well, I plead stupidity.

At the time I probed, though, I could not resolve the name of the
209.66.121.17 nameserver, or the domain starwolf.com. (that still doesn't
resolve, but starwolf.starwolf.com does).

D.V.
--
PGP public key:  finger djv@bedford.net

       --== There are Greeks in that horse! I can hear them! ==--