Subject: Re: VIA VP2 chipset
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@c429720-a.mntp1.il.home.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/1998 19:37:36
[apologies, I didn't see the original message containing the text below.]

Someone wrote:
>> > Don't count it out entirely yet.   But it's too bad I can't buy a
>> > standardized PCI motherboard with a PowerPC processor on it like I can
>> > for an Alpha or an Intel.

I am working with some new boards that are really cool, based on the
PowerPC 750.  I'm bound by an NDA (I'm on the team that's developing
the software) so I can't tell you much about them, but I can say that
they are built by an independent (non-Motorola) company which sells
them for many other purposes.  At least where I'm working most of the
future products are going to be based on PowerPC chips cradled in PCI.
I could probably tell you more, except that I've only been with this
facility for about a month, and don't actually know more. :)

>From what I understand the hardware that goes into these things is
available in mass quantities to the hobbyist soon, if not already.
I'd have to check on that.  I wouldn't mind having one at home.
I'm also led to believe that we'll be seeing more of this stuff, too.
Everyone I work with believes the PowerPC chips to be the new "wave."

Oh wait, I just read the "standardized" part in the statement above.
So, maybe this doesn't apply yet. :)

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack
Software Engineer, Motorola CNSS-CIG-GSM