Subject: README: fxp driver changes
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 01/28/1998 00:21:32
Hi folks...

I have changed the "fxp" driver to use the bus_dma routines.  The changes
have been fairly extensively tested on the Alpha, and the driver appears
to be a bit faster, as well.  It's worth noting that the changes were
fairly extensive... because of this, and because of FreeBSD's lack of
an analog, I have removed the #ifdefs that cause the driver to be sharable;
the driver would have been a complete mess if I had tried to keep it
sharable.

There were two goals in mind: (1) allow me to use the EtherExpress Pro 100B
on large memory Alphas, and (2) provide an example of how to bus_dma'ify
a network interface driver.  At first glance, it looks like these changes
will map quite nicely onto the ThunderLAN driver, for example.

Please let me know if you encounter any problems (and please make sure to
send a bug report with send-pr(1) if you do :-)

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 650 604 0935