Subject: Re: browsers for NetBSD (netscape?)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Toshok <toshok@Hungry.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/1998 04:44:02
dolecek@ics.muni.cz (Jaromir Dolecek) writes:

> Space Case wrote:
> > >
> > >Hmmm ... I just hope that whatever is released is actually _useful_.
> >
> > I believe the basic browser should be usable, that's all Netscape's code.
> > It's more likely the things that are shown when you do an about:netscape
> > (all the licensed products) that won't be included.
>
> So no Java ?

The plan is to give an embedding API for java vm's.  So, you could use
kaffe if it's available, Sun's if it's available, etc.  Only a thin
glue layer needs to be written.  But no, java will most likely not be
included in the source release.

As for a netbsd version: As machines get old and new ones are bought
for people, we've been trying to accumulate a mass of boxes that will
run a variety of free OS's, and have them added to the unsupported
builds.  We haven't really made much headway, since the idea isn't
really taken seriously by a lot of folk around here.  Also, some
platforms that netbsd is ported to just aren't available around here
(hp300's and alpha's are in short supply :)

I'll start working on it again.  It would be neat to have a lab full
of build machines like alpha's running netbsd and linux; intels
running netbsd, freebsd, and linux; and ultra's running netbsd and
mklinux.

And that way, you *would* get a netbsd-specific version, with patches
to the public portions folded back into the code.

Chris
toshok@netscape.com