Subject: Re: Missing strchr.c
To: None <darcy@druid.net>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/1998 17:31:53
>From: darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
>Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 06:19:46 -0500 (EST)
>
>I have been getting this error for a few days.  I thought that perhaps
>there was some weirdness in the current tree so I moved the src tree and
>resupped the entire distribution.  Same error.  Anyone else seen this?
>
>depend ===> sys/arch/i386/stand/biosboot
>rm -f /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/stand/biosboot/machine
>ln -s /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/stand/biosboot/../../../..//arch/i386/include /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/stand/biosboot/machine
>depending the kern library objects
>make: don't know how to make strchr.c. Stop

Usually my first reaction when I see something like this is:

cd sys/arch/i386/stand/biosboot  # or whatever other dir has a problem
rm {,obj/}.depend
make depend

Does that solve your problem?

I remember a whole bunch of these when <vm/lock.h> disappeared.  The
reason is that make(1) is using the out-of-date .depend file even when
'make depend' is run, and it chokes on the non-existent file in the
dependency list even though the dependency is irrelevant for a 'make
depend'.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel