Subject: Re: ptys are not always freed
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@iafrica.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/1998 10:52:38
Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi> said:
> I saw this problem on AIX some 7 years ago and IBM did nothing, despite
> of our bug reports.  I was happy that NetBSD didn't have this problem
> (I've never seen it on 0.9, 1.0, 1.1, or 1.2) but now I don't think I can
> upgrade all systems to 1.3 because I can _not_ allow this problem on
> public Internet machines.  Many people are using pine and screen on our
> servers...
>
> I wonder what has happened between 1.2 and 1.3 that made this problem
> show up (or show up more often than before)?

This is not a new problem.  I have seen it "forever" (back to NetBSD/i386
-0.8).  In case it helps, I have almost always used pcvt as my console
driver, I use "screen" literally all the time, and the problem was often
associated with "pine" blowing up (inside a "screen" session).  I see the
problem much less frequently now then in the past (possibly because my
machine now has enough memory that pine doesn't blow up so often).

--apb (Alan Barrett)