Subject: Re: superdisks
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <haszlaki@UAccess.NET>
List: current-users
Date: 01/22/1998 20:55:19
> > In message <199801221608.IAA21264@lestat.nas.nasa.gov>, Jason Thorpe writes:
> > >NetBSD-current has support for ATAPI disks (although it has only been
> > >tested on ATAPI ZIP drives, as far as I'm aware).
> > Does it?  Well, in that case, I'll have to grab a tree, build, and see
> > if I can make it work!
> Yes, -current has that code.
	duh.. I should have updated my sources first.  Anyway, looks like
it pretty much works.  My drive[1] shows up as sd0 on the atapi bus.
Doesn't exactly have floppy semantics (mount sd0d instead of 0a), not that
it really needs to.
	One thing I have noticed is that if anything tries to access the
drive too soon after you put in a 120Meg disk it looses an interrupt
and then it doesn't work at all.  Normal 1.44Meg floppies work fine though.
This seems like a problem with the drive.  (Also happens under Win95,
although win95 manages to recover if you eject the disk, reinsert it, wait,
and then try again).  Ideas?
	Other than that, works kinda ok.
( raw read/write:>300K/s, 20K/s, hmm...slow writing, wonder why )

eric
haszlaki@uiuc.edu