Subject: superdisks
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <haszlaki@UAccess.NET>
List: current-users
Date: 01/22/1998 02:46:29
	Question: has anyone played around with SuperDisks(aka LS-120)?
		For those who have not heard about SuperDisks:
		floppy drive which reads normal 3.5in floppies and
		also 120Meg one.  (Currently I've only seen them made
		by imation, several companies are distributing the drives).

		I've seen IDE ATAPI and SCSI versions of the drive.  NetBSD,
		of course, doesn't recognize it[0].

		Looks like NetBSD only has support for cd devices
		on atapi bus.  I assume adding support would require
		a driver to send the apropriate SCSI or ATAPI commands
		to the drive.  (Are these the same?  scsipi = SCSI + ATAPI?)
		(Would seem so since I only found one cd driver)
		I found the SCSI version of the command set on
		www.winstation.com[1].

		Since I just got myself one of these drives I'd like
		to get it working.  Before I start looking around too
		much, I'm wondering if anyone has some more detailed
		info about it.  (And perhaps a clearer picture than I
		of the major things which need to be done to get it
		working so I don't end up completely lost :) )

[0]It sees an unrecognized device on the atapi bus:
	"<, 79ABB0014643, 0510C104> type 0 direct removable not configured"
[1]Looks like an add on card to the standard IDE version[2].
[2]They've also got a SCSI normal floppy[3].
[3]No I don't work for their sales dept., just seems pretty neat. :)

eric
haszlaki@uiuc.edu