Subject: Re: NetBSD Web Site!
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/1998 13:06:16
Scott Reynolds wrote:

> On 21 Jan 1998, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>
> > Hm, I like it. Definitely more appealing than the black-on-grey look
> > of the current page.
>
> I've always been of the (strong) opinion that the only colors that one
> ought to use for backgrounds are solid white, grey75 or lighter, or if
> there must be color, pastels.  Anything else causes trouble for the
> browsers that people run on the platform you didn't design the page with
> (gamma-related problems being chief among them).

Me, too, at least as long as you're actually presenting content.  If
you're not presenting anything useful, use whatever you want.

> I personally prefer the classic `paper' look:  black on white.

Although I do prefer black on white, it's usually better on your eyes to
use something slightly off-white, or else use the reverse (i.e. white on
black).  The problem with black on white with a lot of current monitors is
that the contrast is so high that all that _white_ will give you a
headache if you have to read a lot of text online.

Later.