Subject: Re: System backups
To: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@chrisbowman.com>
From: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@zippo.unna.ping.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/20/1998 08:16:28
--==_Exmh_-40697226P

In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.980119234041.1277A-100000@quark.ChrisBowman.com>you w
rite:
> On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Robert Nestor wrote:
> >would take approximately 86 tapes!  Thinking this was bogus and it would
> >run until it found an EOT I inserted the first cartridge and let it go.
> >Sure enough after about 1100 tape blocks it prompted for another tape.
[...]
> I have this exact same drive but it is mounted on my FreeBSD machine.
> When I do a dump on that machine I use dumps -a option which appears
[...]
> unfortuneately NetBSD's dump doesn't have this (I just looked at the man
> page.) you may have to fiddle with the desity does and such.

I use since ages
"dump 0f - /dev/rsd0a > /dev/nrst0".
This may be reformatted to
"dump 0f - /dev/rsd0a | dd obs=10k of=/dev/nrst0" in case of bizarre drives
like some ExaBytes or DAT drives.

> let me know if you figure out how to turn on compression.

"dump 0f - /dev/rsd0a | gzip -9 | dd bs=10k of=/dev/nrst0"

;-)

Gruesse
       Oskar

 					Tragbar ist, was nicht herunterfaellt.
						    oskar@zappa.unna.ping.de

--==_Exmh_-40697226P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.3i

iQCVAwUBNMRPSrA63tqjeAhZAQGofAP+KcveqFqAK91WMfah/yd6zQwK2ZH5B/rT
BWo0WH+Oq8u708+sw1ok+Mpod9bS9tlHnY/TOGaqjQc0YccaI59jgTIeM8oEYAdG
NXN1QlWphXu3hxSFj/uwG/yTDQUWnJ1d3iHtcEI7JNlTQ5PDkXDIrtbcUZhm4UlH
CVl0vQIGHDU=
=5sjb
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-40697226P--