Subject: NetBSD bike ride, anyone?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 01/17/1998 00:47:04
[Note: this isn't _exactly_ related to NetBSD; if there's a better list
to send things like this, please let me know]

I had the pleasure of meeting a number of NetBSD folks at the DC
IETF, and it made me want to meet more NetBSD people in a perhaps
more relaxed setting (I know, I was surprised by this as well :-)).
But with NetBSD's fairly wide geographic dispersity, I can understand
that it would be hard to justify a long trip just for the thrill
of meeting NetBSDers alone.  However, if _two_ hobbies could be
combined, then perhaps there might be greater incentive.

So, along this vein, I am "testing the waters" to see if there is any
interest in a group of NetBSD people doing a Century bike ride this
year.  Specifically, I am thinking about the Sea Gull Century in
Salisbury, MD (http://www.ssu.edu/SeaGullCentury98.html).

I went on this century last year with a friend, and I had a great
time.  It's on the eastern shore of Maryland, _very_ flat, and
extremely well organized.  I believe there were approximately
6000 cyclists at last year's ride.  It's a non-competitive ride;
you can ride at your own pace.  There are rest stops every 20
miles.  It took me 10 hours to do the whole ride (including rest
stops)

I know that (at least to me!) 100 miles is pretty far on a bike, but
those of you that have met me know that I don't exactly have the
"Greg LeMond physique", but I was able to finish the century.  If
you're not up to 100 miles, you can do a metric century (100 km, 63 miles)
instead; there is a short cut at the appropriate point.  And if you
totally give up, there are plenty of sag wagons to take you to
the finish point.

Unfortunately there isn't much info yet on the Sea Gull Century
web page, but things I do know is that it's October 3rd, registration
will probably be $25-$35, and the deadline is usually in June.

Since I _think_ I'm one of the closer people to this area, I'd be
willing to be the organizer/contact point if we wanted to do things
like get a block of rooms at a hotel.  And we got enough interest,
we could something _really_ geeky like get matching "Team NetBSD"
jerseys for the ride :-) (I saw "Team Lard Butt" last year).

Note that I am suggesting the Sea Gull Century because it's close
to me and I know I can do it :-)  If anyone has other suggestions
for a NetBSD bike ride, I'd love to hear them.  And if anyone has
any _other_ suggestions for NetBSD events, I'd love to hear them
as well!  Although I suspect current-users is _not_ the place for
an extended discussion about this ....

--Ken