Subject: Re: what is the use of xsrc.tar.gz and pkgsrc.tar.gz
To: Anders Eriksson <aer@cdt.luth.se>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 01/16/1998 15:41:58
On Fri, Jan 16, 1998 at 03:10:03PM +0100, Anders Eriksson wrote:

> While on the subject. What modifications has been done to XFree? The modified
> version doesn't have XF86Setup so I grabbed the netbsd compile of the original
> XFree 3.3.1 The downside is that xload in it wants libutil.so.3.2 and netbsd/
> 1.3 comes with 4.2. Where can I find a suitable libutil?

Well, you didn't have to grab the whole distribution again.. XF86Setup
is not included because it can't be re-compiled with the plain NetBSD
sources (normal src and xsrc). It needs tk/tcl. The best thing you can
do is just get XF86Setup from vanilla XFree.

Perhaps we can make it a package, or find some other solution for this.

The NetBSD X distribution for the i386 is no different from the existing
XFree 3.3.1 one, except for some pretty minor differences (I forgot about
them at the moment). The actual difference is that it is compiled and
tested against the release that it comes with. This is the difference,
for example, that you are seeing with the libutil version number.
xload was compiled against 1.2, so it needs an older libutil version.
If I remember correctly, xload doesn't need libutil at all, actually.

Also, some other NetBSD platforms lacked a good X distribution, so
it was a good idea to maintain a central X source repository and
create X sets for releases out of it.

For the i386, it's not like we're trying to do a new/different XFree, we
wouldn't be able to. See it as "XFree compiled and tested on the release
that it comes with".

- Frank