Subject: Re: SCO Compatibility
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
From: Scott Bartram <scottb@orionsoft.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/16/1998 00:01:09
On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> Thus spake Scott Bartram
> > It's been awhile... let me see if I can remember...
> >
> > 1) You don't need EXEC_ELF32 for COFF binaries.
>
> I assume having it doesn't hurt though.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

> > 2) As far as /emul goes, you don't need anything in there to run static,
> > non-X binaries.
>
> It's definitely not X.  File says "80386 COFF executable not stripped" so
> I assume it is not shared.

Maybe not. "file" can't tell since COFF shared binaries don't have a
distinguishing magic number. There is a SCO command to print this info but
it's been too long and I can't remember. You can probably run "strings"
and grep for "shlib" though.

> Does anyone actually have a system that is running IBCS programs?  Maybe
> this just isn't possible.

It certainly should but I must admit I haven't personally run any since
probably 1.1 days.

Now that you've got my interest, I'm going to try and dig up some old
binaries and test it myself. I guess I'll do that manpage too. Oh well...

scott