Subject: Re: SCO Compatibility
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/15/1998 17:13:32
Thus spake Frank van der Linden
> On Thu, Jan 15, 1998 at 02:04:48AM -0500, Mike Long wrote:
> > Try COMPAT_IBCS2 instead.  If that doesn't work you can also try
> > removing COMPAT_LINUX, since AFAIK there is still nothing in the
> > kernel to distinguish properly between Linux and SVR4 Elf
> > executables.
>
> That was only true for *statically* linked binaries, and should be
> less of a problem now. A heuristic is applied that checks if
> the binary is compiled with gcc (true for all Linux binaries, well..
> you can't be 100% sure but..). Far from perfect, but it's better.
> If you need to be certain that *statically* linked binaries for
> COMPAT_SVR4 work (there aren't too many of those around), then
> it's a good idea to remove COMPAT_LINUX.

Nope.  I now have a kernel built with the following:

#options        COMPAT_SVR4 # binary compatibility with SVR4
options     COMPAT_IBCS2    # binary compatibility with SCO and ISC
#options        COMPAT_LINUX    # binary compatibility with Linux
#options        COMPAT_FREEBSD  # binary compatibility with FreeBSD

# Executable format options
options     EXEC_ELF32  # 32-bit ELF executables (SVR4, Linux)

Can the ELF line be messing me up?  How about the emul directory?  What
do I need in there?  Is there a man page coming?  If someone can help me
I'll put the man page together.