Subject: Re: nmh and its MTA
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 01/15/1998 16:21:25
    Matthias> In article <Pine.NEB.3.96.980115113534.231J-100000@bonzai>,
    Matthias> Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM> writes:
    >> It's foolish to assume that any one transport will be appropriate for
    >> everyone.

    Matthias> Is it? I consider it foolish that the user actually cares for
    Matthias> the transport. It's the admin's job to do that and she or he
    Matthias> should do it in a way that it works for the users without
    Matthias> problems.

    Matthias> I vote for a MTA wrapper located under "/usr/sbin/sendmail"
    Matthias> which calls whatever MTA is installed, the default should be
    Matthias> NetBSD's included Sendmail 8.8.x located in
    Matthias> "/usr/libexec/sendmail".

  I concur. The only use I've ever had for the "SMTP" transport in MH was
that I didn't need to even configure sendmail to do relay mode on local
hosts.

  It would be nice to take MH's SMTP transport (or equivalent), and provide
it as /usr/libexec/smarthost or some such.

   :!mcr!:            |  Sandelman Software Works Corporation, Ottawa, ON
   Michael Richardson |Network and security consulting and contract programming
 Personal: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.
 Corporate: sales@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca.