Subject: Re: CD-R with NetBSD-1.3?
To: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@honors.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/1998 15:14:59
On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Dave Burgess wrote:
> My Sony CD writer will not write a CD if it is connected as a 'cd'
> drive.  It will only work as a 'uk' drive.  I also had to install it as
> a WORM drive.  When I last looked at it (two months ago), the SCSI/ATAPI
> subsystem wasn't ready to do writable CD-ROMs....
>
> uk0 at scsibus0 targ 2 lun 0: <SONY, CD-R   CDU926S, 1.1f> SCSI2 4/worm removable
> uk0: unknown device

Still no luck.  It now ID's as:

uk0 at scsibus0 targ 2 lun 0: <HP, C4324/C4325, 1.27> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable
uk0: unknown device

I know this drive works, because my friend made it work on a FreeBSD
system.  I know my SCSI controller works, because I've been using a tape
drive on it.

When you say you had to install it as a WORM drive, what exactly do you
mean?  I noticed that your flags are 4 instead of 5; is that it?  If so,
how does one go about changing this?  Is it device-specific?

Chris

Chris Jones                                      cjones@rupert.oscs.montana.edu
           Mad scientist in training...